Friday, February 11, 2011

My Love of Star Wars

While taking a class a CIU; Christians, Media and Culture, I realized that all of my favorite movies have one thing in common. They all transport you to a different world. None of my favs happen in "real life." Star Wars takes you to "a galaxy far far away." Star Trek takes you to the 24th century where there is no poverty, disease, war or money on Earth. Lord of the Rings takes you to Middle Earth where there are wizards, elves, hobbits, and dwarfs. Finally, Harry Potter transports you to the secret world of wizards and witches who cast magic spells and save the world from the evil Lord Voldemort.

I also like that in all of these movies, the worlds they take place in are portrayed as real. Think about it; you never know if the events in Star Wars really didn't happen a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Star Trek is our world but better. It portrays what humans could be like 400 years from now. In LotR, you believe that Middle Earth was real and just existed thousands and thousands of years ago. And you can't tell me that you didn't think there just might be a secret society of Wizards out there somewhere while watching Harry Potter.

I'll elaborate more on my love for each of these movies/tv shows, but since this post is about Star Wars, we'll start with that.

My love of Star Wars began at a very early age. The very first movie I saw was actually Return of the Jedi. I thought the Ewoks were adorable! I watched that one over and over again and it took me a while to realize that there were two other movies before RotJ! Once I watched all three, I was hooked. I can't count the number of times I've seen each movie, but I can tell you it's a lot. Han Solo is my favorite character in the movies. I love that he starts off as this money loving scoundrel and ends up joining the alliance, saving the day (multiple times), and marrying the princess. The idea of Vader is also intriguing to me. Here is this guy who is completely covered in a black suite and we have no idea who he is or what happened to him. I love that he was "de-masked" at the end of RotJ. It gave me a bit of closure to his character. The Jedi are by far the coolest group of people. They can use the force to do all kinds of things and they get these awesome lightsabers. I could go on and on about the things I love about Star Wars, but I think it would take up the entire front page of my blog.

Star Wars has a bit of everything in it, romance, comedy, action, fantasy and it is woven together beautifully in an epic story.


PS ~ I am not a big collector of memorabilia; mostly just some random things that only i would appreciate. Below is a picture of once such collection. It is sitting in my office at work and it just makes me smile when i look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment