Monday, April 11, 2011

Gardening

This past Saturday, Ben and I spent all day in the yard working on our garden. Last year, I wanted to build a raised garden, but the money wasn’t there so we had to put it off. Luckily for me, this year was the year. The weekend before, we went to Lowes and Woodley’s Garden center to price out everything and make sure we could afford it. Not only did we find out how much we were going to spend, but it saved us a ton of time this past weekend because we were able to go right to the stores and get what we needed and leave.

So, come Friday night we went back to Woodley’s and Lowes to pick everything up so we would be ready to go Saturday morning.


(this isn't everything as i forgot to take the picture before we planted some of it)

Ben spent the morning building the box for the garden in the back yard and I worked on the flowers in the front yard. Around mid-day, the box was ready to go! Ben did a great job building it. (Side note; Ben is a great builder! He’s built our deck, in two different sections, the planter and now this. He does a great job of planning everything out, making sure he knows what he needs before he goes to the store. He’s my little handy-man). The box is 8ft by 4ft and is built out of “landscape timber.” I love the look of it….very log cabin-esque.



We filled it with 30 bags of soil and then planted all of our veggies, herbs and flowers in it. In the garden we have corn (my northern contribution since I grew up in corn country), green beans, two types of tomatoes (planted around marigolds and basil, really good for the tomatoes), romaine lettuce, green peppers, zucchini, and watermelon. I am so excited about growing my own veggies! I really hope it works out and that we get a good crop. If not, then oh well. Here is the finished product





In the barrel beside the planer are strawberries we planted last year. They have come back with a vengeance this year and I can’t wait for them to be ripe.

We also have a planter on the deck that Ben built two years ago. In there are two planters of herbs; Basil, parsley, oregano and Stevia (not sure how this one works, but am interested to test it out), one planter with petunias and one with different cacti. The cacti are purely for fun because they don’t require a lot of water and love the heat.



In the front yard we planted Daisies and Vincas. The vincas are great because they spread like wildfire so you only need to plant 4 or 5 in one area and they’ll fill up the place in a month or two. The daisies I love because they are so pretty and they come back every year (big plus for saving money). So this year, I splurged and bout a few more so that we don’t have to buy as many vincas in the years to come.





Overall, it was a very productive weekend! I really enjoy working in the yard and would love to have more time to do it. For now, I have to settle with a few Saturdays here and there. I would love to have a huge back yard with all kinds of vegetables and fruit trees and herbs. Someday….

1 comment:

  1. It looks and sounds amazing. I have a dream, too, of having a big yard/mini-farm some day to grow veggies, fruit, and herbs. So fun that you get to have a mini-garden now. Be sure to post the results.

    ReplyDelete