Friday, June 17, 2011

LIghtning Bugs

I love lightning bugs. Partly because they are cool and fun, and partly because they remind me of home. I grew up catching lightening bugs in the summers and watching them light up my backyard and the backyards of my friends. It is so cool to sit outside at night and watch the little specks of light go on and off in the distance. In Lancaster, they are everywhere in the summer. That is not the case down here. I don't know why, but they are not as prevalent in Columbia as they are in Lancaster. I'm not sure if it's because of the difference in weather, or the amount of farmland, or just their natural habitat. Whatever it is, I miss seeing them in the summer.

The reason I write all of this is because I finally caught by first lightening bug since moving down here. I got up to let the dog out when I saw it in our backyard. I bolted out the door, headed straight for the last place I saw the light, and started to follow it around the yard. He was an evasive little bug, but i finally caught him. I banged on the glass door to get Ben's attention so he could come see it. I didn't realize how much I liked those little bugs until I had this one in my had. It brought back a lot of memories of growing up.

I love that God created lightning bugs. I mean, only a very creative God could think of making bug that has a light on it's butt :) It's awesome! And it's a great reminder to me of home, which I absolutely love!

No comments:

Post a Comment